Automated testing will shorten development and test cycles, by avoiding repetitive tasks and improve software quality.
But to get success in that choosing right automation tool is very important.
There is much functional and nonfunctional automation testing tool available in market, some are commercial and some are open source.
We will talk about two tools which are majorly used by the testers or firms.
HP QTP and Selenium
Let us check the positive and negative points of both the tool.
First will discuss about HP QTP tool
- Primary language used is VB script and can be easily learn by user.
- Object repository is great feature.
- QTP can be integrated with HP ALM, so easily manageable.
- Product Support can be available.
- Reporting can be easy if it associated with ALM.
- Less coding experience
- Supporting windows based application.
- QTP is costly compare to other commercial tools and license cost depends on volume and the type of license. If any add-ins required then extra cost for that. And requires renewal.
- Upgrade required whenever the system or software upgrade done QTP version also have to be upgraded based on specific application.
- With respect to performance execution time is higher, whereas scripting time is less.
- Hardware resource utilization High
- Only supports windows environment.
Now we will discuss about Selenium.
- Primary Selenium supports many languages Like Java, C#, ruby, and python.
- It is an open source (no license cost) and also can support integration with Test NG, Maven and Ant for build and execution.
- Supports most of the browsers Like IE, Chrome, FF, Safari etc…
- User can create their own framework based on the needs.
- Hardware utilization is less
- Very good for Web automation
- Supports multiple Environment like Linux , Solaris OS X, Windows.
- Resource or user should be good in programming and also in framework as well as in reporting.
- There will not be any direct support and user has to find solution through forums or community online.
- More coding experience required
- Windows based application cannot be tested as only support web automation.